Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Here is an email from one of our Group Members
as it relates to the following article

http://www.net-temps.com/careerdev/crossroads/index.htm?op=view&id=4251&newsletter_id=946&archive=1

"In my current job search, I've actually been told directly that I wasn't chosen for a specific job after multiple rounds of interviews for the very reasons listed in the bullet list in the article, and I can confirm that it is very frustrating to hear those reasons and disheartening when you've put so much time into developing the contact, navigating the Taleo website and HR process hoops, preparing for the interviews, going through all the panel interviews, phone calls, face to face meetings, etc. and you're still not hired. But, I really appreciated the author's summary at the end:"

'Interviewing is the process by which you find a company you like, and by which a company hires you because they feel you’re the best person for the job. Everything happens for a reason, and if you missed getting an offer with one company, something better may be just around the corner.

So concentrate on what you can control and forget about what you can’t. If you mope around worrying about what you did or didn't do and wonder why they didn't like you or where you messed up - your attitude will bring about another negative outcome.

Look objectively at whether or not you can pinpoint something you might have done differently, and then learn from it. Otherwise, put it behind you and move forward with a confident and positive outlook!'
That might be a good reminder to disseminate through the groups - just because a company (or a number of companies) say no, that doesn't mean you won't find something - just keep at it!

David Clay

Thank you David.  I want to add one more point.  While we are told to look at both the good and bad things you did in the interview, I suggest you focus on the good things and try to replicate those whenever you can.  Such as: I researched the company and interviewers before the interviews.  I brought to them some business intelligence which addressed their pain points thus making it a warmer meeting.  I played to my strengths and was prepared for the most important questions.  I provided a warm thank you note and followed up with more business intelligence if they were slower to decide.  I let the hiring manager know that I would still appreciate if he could assist me in networking with others he knew that could utilize my talents.  Continue to be positive in your reassesment of the experience and learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment